Your ability to increase personal effectiveness emanates from you. We are inundated with the "tools of technology." From our computers, to GPS, PDA's, iPods, Kindles,iPads and the ubiquitous cell phone. You would think the person with the most "equipment" would have the edge, be MOST effective. It is my observation that often the individual with the 39 cent yellow pad is the most effective. Why?
It is not about the "tools", it is what you do with them. Here is a checklist of several elements that influence effectiveness.
1. Self-Responsibility: The choices, actions and responses you make determine your outcomes. Here is a poem that has influenced me for the past 30 years: The Man In The Glass.
2. Accountability: Webster says "an obligation or willingness to accept responsibility." Often I hear "the blame game", people dodging or failing to accept responsibility, this is a non-productive waste of time. Step-up, take charge and make things happen. Think of these ten words that insure success, "If it is to be, it is up to me."
3. Awareness: Do what you say you're going to do. This fundamental strategy will place you at the head of the pack. How do you feel when others fail to follow through on what they said they were going to do? Don't make promises you can't keep; it dilutes your effectiveness.
4. Desire: Is it your goal to be more effective? You must own the goal and link effectiveness to results, i.e., clearer communication, retention of employees, shorter sales meetings, and increased revenue.
5. Knowledge: There are many "how to" books on time management, one of my favorites is "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People". This will help you with the "what to" and "why to" of being more effective.
6. Develop Habits: We are creatures of habit, it is not easy to change or "break" habits. To be more effective you must create new habits that will lead to positive behavioral changes. Begin by seeing the outcomes you desire. What actions must you take to get there?
7. Practice: When you identify the actions you must take to reach your goals, begin the journey. Practice by doing the things that will create your success. It you want to do webinars to develop your target market, start by finding out what must be done to do a webinar. Then take the steps to make it happen. Effectiveness is DOING not trying.
Your comments and feedback are always appreciated. We thank you for your support and interest in the work we do at Anovick Associates. These comments are intended to help you be the best you can be.
Developing Potential, Producing Results